Choosing the best possible instrument for your kid is a very hard process. Most of the parents agree that the ukulele is one of the best instruments to get your kids into music. There are numerous benefits of it and the most important one is the size.
Ukuleles are super easy to play with small hands and more importantly, they are inexpensive, which is quite important.
Our top picks for the best ukuleles for kids:
- KEEP CALM & PLAY THE UKULELE - Discover the unique melodic sound of the Hawaiian Islands with our elite 21" Soprano Ukulele Beginner Pack! Now you can teach yourself the ukulele, thanks to our all-inclusive beginner's kit that includes a 21" ukulele, a digital tuner a strap and a How-To-Play songbook
- SUPERIOR-QUALITY CRAFTSMANSHIP - Our amazing 21" traditional soprano ukulele combines selected fine basswood for the body, solid wood for the neck and blackwood for the finger board and bridge. Eco-friendly design will make it your favorite musical instrument
- LEARN HOW TO PLAY WHILE HAVING FUN -12 Nickel Silver Frets with correct frets positing marked on 5th, 7th, 10th of blackwood fingerboard. The magnificent soprano ukulele features playable nylon string, easy keeping in tune nylon strings which stay in tune after playing for a while. Most string instruments initially need time to adjust to the climate and such. Continue tuning it every time if it goes out of tune, and eventually it will adjust
- Kala Ukulele, known for high-quality instruments, is the most recognized and sought after ukulele brand in the world.
- Kala ukuleles are the instrument of choice for schools - more people learn to play on a Kala than any other ukulele brand. ncludes FREE online lessons, FREE Kala ukulele app with tuner, Kala logo tote bag, and How to Play Ukulele Quick Start Booklet
- Kala ukuleles are played by some of the most renowned players around the world including: Twenty One Pilots, Vance Joy, and Zac Brown. Scale Length: 13.625 inches
- A truly traditional, quality-constructed Mahogany Soprano ukulele in a rich satin finish that accents the woodgrain
- The All-Mahogany construction delivers a tone that is bright, yet warm, full-bodied sound with enough volume to stand out while playing with friends
- The KA-15S is well-suited for classroom use, practicing, and acoustic performance. It is the instrument of choice for schools - More people learn to play on a Kala than any other ukulele brand. The KA-15S came into the world in 2005 as the answer to a high-quality, affordable, entry-level ukulele and still remains the unrivaled ukulele in its class
- String Configuaration: 4 String
- Size: 54 x 17 x 5.5 cm (L x W x H)
- Construction: All Wood Toy Guitar
- Cute Macaron Colors: Soprano ukulele in bright, Cute Macaron Colors for everyone to enjoy
- Music Enlightening: Easy to learn, a good choice to start music from Ukulele. Eco-friendly design will make it your favorite musical instrument
- High Quality: Durable Plastic Body and neck in addition to a clear, high gloss finish make for long-lasting durability, and high tension of nylon string ensure acoustical quality
Ukulele and Kids
There are many different ukuleles that are usually classified by their size. There are soprano, tenor, baritone, and concert ukuleles. There are, of course, a few more different types, but these are not so common.
Each of these types has a bit different sound and the tone depends on the size. What’s ideal about ukuleles is the size which is very convenient for the kids.
Most of the ukuleles for kids come with nylon strings. Now, nylon is an ideal material for strings on the instruments for kids because it’s much more comfortable to play than steel strings.
Children have small and gentle fingers and steel strings could be too rough for them to handle. Most of the guitars use steel strings which can be discouraging for the kids.
Furthermore, ukuleles have 2 strings less than a guitar which is why the kids find it easier to comprehend. Also, guitars require a wider hand span and the kids just don’t have that yet.
Best strings for ukulele for kids
Some will say that the most important thing when buying the ukulele for a kid is durability of strings. There are many different types of strings and each of these types has its unique features. The most important thing is to choose the ones that will be comfortable so that your kid can have fun playing.
Overall, the best strings for ukulele are Aquila Nylon strings because these are made to withstand high temperatures and humidity and they feel very comfortable while providing the superb sound.
However, there are some different factors to consider when it comes to strings. For example, the size and shape of the ukulele is a very important factor. Some strings might feel tighter than other on a certain type of ukulele.
Playing style is also a very important factor. Strumming or picking style too.
With that being said, we recommend that you don’t worry too much about this and go with the strings that ukulele comes with. They usually come with the strings they respond the best with.
Best Materials for Ukulele for Kids
This is mostly a thing of a personal preference. You can’t really say which material is superior because it depends on your personal preference and the beauty of the sound is usually very subjective.
Each material has its pros and cons. Another important factor is the purpose of the ukulele. It depends on how you are going to use it. In our opinion, for kids, it’s best to choose the material that is durable but not too expensive because you can expect some damage. They are kids after all.
Probably the best solutions are the composite plastic materials because they are resistant to weather condition and are quite durable.
When it comes to wood, it does make a difference to a trained ear because every type of wood vibrates differently, but when it comes to a kid, that is really not that important.
Best Ukulele Shape for Kids
There are a lot of unique sizes and shapes when it comes to ukuleles for kids. Finding the right one for your kid might seem a bit difficult, but it’s not that hard. The classic traditional shape is the most common but there are a great number of wacky and weird designs out there.
For kids, the shape is not really that important as long as the size is proper. The size needs to be according to your kid’s size and height.
Theme and Color
Children tend to like colorful instrument better and it’s more likely that they will practice more if their instrument is colorful. So if your girl wants a pink ukulele, get her the pink ukulele.
They also tend to like certain cartoons and items that have pictures of that cartoon characters on them. There are a lot of themed ukuleles you can choose from, so choose the one your kid will like the most.
Tune and Sound
Children usually can’t tell the difference between good and bad sounding instrument at early stages of playing, but they will quickly learn, especially if they are in a learning group.
The general rule is that the more expensive ukes sound better, but there are some exceptions to that rule. There are some very cheap ukuleles that sound awesome.
Where to Buy a Ukulele for Your Kid
You can always check out the music stores, but in our opinion, the best deals are on Amazon. The Amazon offers a wide variety of instruments and a big range of prices. Also, you can compare them easily and read users reviews and see the ratings.
Reviews of the best ukuleles for kids
Colorful ukuleles are great for your kid to get enthusiastic about playing it. This particular model comes in many different colors you can choose from. There are many reasons why kids would love this uke. It’s colorful, it’s small, and it looks pretty.
The sound of this ukulele is not really that prominent, but it’s ok to get your youngest kids into music. The instrument is designed for kids and it features a nylon strings that are incredibly easy to play and strum.
It’s made for children of all ages but it’s most fitting for the youngest ones. It has a traditional shape and with 20.5 inches, it’s the smallest ukulele on our list. It’s incredibly easy to hold and use.
This is very important because if your kids can hold their instrument with ease, it’s more likely that they will be patient and that they will endure the practice.
The Nice thing about this model is that it comes in a pack with a lot of useful additional equipment. Other than a ukulele, the pack features a digital tuner, spare strings and picks, polishing cloth, durable gig bag, and a songbook with instructions.
For more than the affordable price, you get everything your kid needs to start playing.
It comes with an incredible guide that can assist your kid with the basics and it takes away the need for tutoring. However, it’s important that you spend some time with your kid at the beginning of the learning process.
Sometimes, the time you spend with your kid during the learning process can make a huge difference between them continuing to play for years or not.
The ukulele comes with a tuning app which is incredibly convenient because you don’t have to carry around an electronic tuner, you can have it on your phone. The gig bag is also a very nice addition to the kit because you can easily carry the uke around when you need to take your kids to the music classes or when you travel.
This is another product by well-known company Kala, but this one is more serious. This ukulele is for kids who are serious and have a great desire to play the ukulele. It has a stunning design, materials are of very high-quality, and the finish is just amazing.
However, if you expect your kid to bang the instrument around or drop it on the floor when frustrated, it’s better that you go with some cheaper options.
The body and the neck are made of mahogany and it’s beautiful just to look at it, not to mention how good it feels to play it. The sound is rich and deep and it has kind of open feel to it.
The frets have marked positions which are exceptionally convenient at the early stages of learning. The fretboard features 12 brass frets that really compliment the beautiful mahogany color.
The ukulele is 22 inches long and it’s the biggest ukulele on our list. It features geared tuners that are quite easy to use and they hold the tuning perfectly. Some tuners of lesser quality tend to make tuning harder with time, but with these tuners that is most definitely not the case.
The KA-15S comes with the strings and tuned and it’s ready to play straight out of the box. It comes with Aquila Nylgut strings which are very good strings that produce very good sound and are not rough on the fingers.
The Aquila strings that come with this ukulele are a bit rougher and they might cause a bit of a struggle to some kids, but this is also an excellent way for building up finger strength. Of course, this requires a more careful teaching approach.
The Aquila strings are made of a synthetic material and they have a very warm tone. The ukulele is a bit more expensive but it’s well worth the money as it provides warm and punchier tone.
The bridge is solid and it gives the uke a supporting structure for the sound which improves the quality of tone. The neck is a bit longer which makes reaching a bit harder for smaller hands. This is why this uke is more suiting for older kids.
It comes with a durable gig bag with nice protective layer making it very convenient to carry around.
Well, this is one cute little ukulele ideal for beginners with enthusiasm to play. It comes with a starter kit which is great for those of you who want their kid to have everything it might need for playing.
The body is made of basswood and covered with a nice high gloss finish. It gives a lovely tone and sound. The strings are made of nylon and they are incredibly easy to play and feel very comfortable under the fingers.
It’s one of the smaller ukes on this list and it’s 21 inches long. It’s not really a professional ukulele but it provides an excellent quality considering the price.
The neck is made of maple and the fretboard of hardwood which gives this uke a sweet sound and the dreadnought shape assists with volume.
|Soprano Ukulele Beginner Pack-21 Inch||★★★★★||Check Price|
|Kala Learn To Play Ukulele Starter Kit||★★★★★||Check Price|
|Kala KA-15S Mahogany Soprano Ukulele||★★★★☆||Check Price|
|E Support Child Play Soprano Ukulele||★★★★☆||Check Price|
|M Y Fly Young Toy Ukulele 21 Inch Soprano||★★★★☆||Check Price|
If you want to get your kid into the music, the ukulele is most definitely a great choice to start with. Make sure that you choose the proper uke for your kid’s age and size and be very supportive during the learning process.
In our opinion, the best ukulele for kids is the M Y Fly nylon string. It’s small and light and easy to play. The design is a bit plain, but that is a plus if your kid is going to attend the music lessons.
The Aquila strings that come with this uke might be a bit rough but that can also be a plus because it’s a great way to build up some finger strength. Overall, it’s a great instrument yet very affordable.