The straightforward answer would be – it depends. It relies upon numerous variables and the majority of these are different from individual to individual. It doesn’t make a difference in the event that you have the best beginner electric guitar or the best beginner acoustic guitar, a few contrasts between the two will dependably be there.
Among the numerous components to consider while learning guitar are the likenesses and differences between acoustic versus electric guitar. When you comprehend the distinctions, you can choose which one is less demanding for you to learn.
Albeit numerous guitarists are satisfied with basically playing just a single instrument, numerous musicians might want to enhance their aptitudes on more than one kind of guitar.
In light of that, there are likewise a few contrasts that must be considered when you practice acoustic versus electric guitar so that that you can get the most out of your guitar practice time
Contrasts between Practicing Acoustic versus Electric Guitar
In spite of the fact that there are numerous foundational abilities in common between acoustic and electric guitar, there are likewise exceptional and particular contrasts you should consider while rehearsing one instrument versus another.
Basically, mastery of each instrument requires an interesting range of abilities that is proper for the particular style you play on either acoustic or electric guitar.
Here is the principle rundown of interesting skills that need to make up the core of your acoustic guitar practice.
Note that there are numerous different abilities that ought to be practiced notwithstanding the ones listed underneath, however, the things in this rundown are the “most” different from the core components that will make up your electric guitar practicing.
- Practicing guitar chord changes – familiarity with playing chords is the absolute most imperative ability you should have while practicing acoustic guitar. While chords can and obviously “are” played on electric guitar additionally, the acoustic instrument depends on this component of playing significantly more. The particular chord changes to practice on an acoustic guitar will be chosen by you (in view of the music you need to play), anyway, one thing you completely MUST have is a powerful practice approach that will empower you to learn any chord change effortlessly and easily.
- Learning strumming/fingerpicking – more often than not when playing acoustic guitar, the picking hand will play out an entirely different arrangement of methods than it does on electric guitar. Specifically, you have to decide if the music you play expects you to build up your aptitude with fingerpicking or with strumming utilizing a pick (or both) and put aside some bit of your guitar practice time to learn these methods.
- Expanding your chord knowledge – this alludes to expanding the number of chords that you know and can dependably play on guitar. “Chord vocabulary” is very different from the physical aptitude of “rehearsing guitar chord changes” and this is the reason it has a place in its own classification.
- Adapting to more extensive string dispersing, higher string action and a bigger body of the acoustic guitar – on the off chance that you have spent a substantial segment of your time playing and rehearsing electric guitar before changing to acoustic guitar, you should particularly center around becoming acclimated to the physical subtleties of this instrument. Luckily, this point can be accomplished basically by investing more energy rehearsing and playing acoustic guitar. During the time spent becoming acclimated to playing a physically bigger instrument (acoustic guitar), it is imperative to not get into the propensity for utilizing a great deal of superfluous muscle strain while practicing.
On account of the above focuses, here is a rundown of the core electric guitar practice components that are not the same as practicing acoustic guitar:
- Controlling messy guitar string clamor – not at all like acoustic guitar, electric guitar introduces an interesting issue of expecting you to quiet the strings that aren’t being played. To do this, you should focus on where the messy commotions are originating from and utilize both the picking and fretting hands to cover every one of the strings with the exception of the one you are playing.
- Refining vibratos and bends – if there is one procedure that characterizes electric guitar (and imprints the clearest refinement between acoustic versus electric guitar playing), it is the utilization of vibratos and bends. As an electric guitarist, you should invest a considerable measure of time in practicing these two techniques keeping in mind the end goal to make your guitar playing sound great.
- Developing improvisation aptitudes – not at all like acoustic guitar players (who regularly play pre-practiced music and tunes), electric guitar players frequently do a considerable measure of improvisation when playing lead guitar. This requires building up a wide stockpile of abilities, running from guitar technique mastery to developed aptitudes of phrasing and musical inventiveness. In opposition to mainstream thinking, musical inventiveness in every aspect of guitar playing can be educated and learned.
- Learning to play guitar scales – though acoustic guitar playing fundamentally spins around chords, the vast majority of electric guitar playing depends on playing of scales. To genuinely learn scales on electric guitar, you should learn how to play each scale you know everywhere throughout the fretboard, unreservedly and fluidly.
- Adapting to the more limited string spacing, low string action and little body of the electric guitar – in spite of the fact that it might appear at first that electric guitar is physically less demanding to play, the truth of the matter is that its littler size and string set up requires becoming accustomed to the same amount of as the greater acoustic guitar. When beginning to learn electric guitar after quite a while spent rehearsing acoustic guitar, give careful consideration to how clean your guitar playing sounds and become acclimated to making relatively smaller movements with both the fretting and picking hands.
As it should be obvious, notwithstanding having numerous general similarities, playing acoustic versus electric guitar frequently expects you to center around totally unique arrangements of skills.
Despite the fact that the rundown of guitar practice components clarified above isn’t all-inclusive, the principal lesson here is for you to learn to approach the way toward learning either acoustic or electric guitar systematically.
By separating your guitar playing objectives into abilities that must be learned (and getting direction on the most proficient method to ace every one of those skills) you will greatly accelerate the way toward turning into the guitar player you wish to be.